ROA sponsorship changed to SIS from 1st September 2012. To apply for the new SIS logos then please click here.
Should I be sponsored?
- Owners who secure sponsorship for their racing activities can register for VAT.
- Owners can reclaim VAT on the purchase price of their horse (if applicable) and this can be claimed up to four years after the purchase of the horse if owned 100%.
- Owners can also reclaim VAT on their racing expenses – including training fees, transport costs, veterinary fees and jockeys fees – backdated up to six months. This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000!
If you are not already registered for VAT, just think of the savings that could be made!
For more help and advice on registering for VAT, please contact the BHA VAT Helpdesk on 01933 440077 or visit www.weatherbys.co.uk/racing-division/registrations/vat-scheme
Does the ROA provide sponsorship?...
- The ROA runs the Satellite Information Services (SIS) Owner-Sponsorship Scheme.
- This will provide sponsorship for horses in training which are wholly owned by ROA members.
- In the case of a Racing Partnership, all Nominated Partners need to be ROA members in order for the horse to be eligible for the scheme.
- Where the horse is owned in a Joint Ownership, all owners need to be ROA Members.
- A sponsorship payment of £10 per horse is made to the Owner upon joining, with an additional £90 paid to the Owner at the end of the scheme provided the horse has run in Britain.
- Sponsored horses will need to carry a SIS logo on the chest and collar of the owners colours. There are no provisions for branding on attendants clothing or horse rugs.
Pictured right: Amateur Jockey, Chris Martin.
2013 SIS Owner-Sponsorship Agreement Form:
If you would like to participate in the next scheme, please download, printoff and complete the Sponsorship Agreement form and return it to the ROA office:
75 High Holborn
It is only necessary for one Partner in the horse to sign the agreement.
March 2013 Contract
If you have any questions on the SIS Owner-Sponsorship scheme please contact 020 7152 0200, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Maximise the benefits of owner-sponsorship
Under the VAT Scheme, receiving sponsorship income allows owners to register for VAT, enabling them to recover VAT on their racing activity.
The SIS Owner-Sponsorship Scheme provides a simple means by which owners can take advantage of this concession. Each year the scheme covers 1,000 horses and the sponsorship agreements are lodged with Weatherbys.
With the cost of keeping a horse in training in the region of £18,500 to £20,000 a year, an owner can expect to reclaim around £3,700 to £4,000. This doesn’t take into account any VAT element on a horse’s purchase price, which can also be recovered.
VAT is recoverable on costs that are invoiced to the VAT registered entity for relevant supplies, and should normally be fully recoverable on the following:
- Racehorse purchase
- Training fees
- Gallop fees
- Veterinary fees
- Farrier costs
- Transport of the horse
- Jockeys riding fees and retainers
- Entry fees (BHA administration element only)
Livery yard fees and keep costs while a horse is at an owner’s premises may also be recoverable for the period immediately prior to a horse going into training and during temporary absence from the trainer’s premises.
Owners are reminded that there are a number of peripheral heads of expenditure where VAT may be recoverable. These are listed in A Guide to the VAT Scheme (available online at www.britishhorseracing.com) and include:
- Travel costs of the owner when their horse is declared to run, and when visiting the horse at its trainer’s stable, and when travelling to buy or sell horses.
- Reasonable costs of refreshments and meals (not including entertainment of others) associated to visits.
- Entry costs where an owner doesn’t receive free admission, e.g. in the case of an extended racing partnership.
- A 10% allowable apportionment of an owner’s telephone and/or mobile phone bill. Where applicable, installation, rental or purchase may also be included.
- Charges from professional advisers, e.g. bloodstock agents and accountants.
- It should be noted that all reclaims for refund of VAT should be supported by a proper VAT invoice.
Weatherbys Bank offer VAT services for racehorse owners. To find out more please click here.
Terms and Conditions>>
Download the BHA's Owner-Sponsorship Code of Conduct >>
SIS Owner-Sponsorship Scheme Online Application Form>>
SIS Online Logo Application Form>>